Homer's Travels: Getting To The Beginning Of The End

Friday, July 08, 2022

Getting To The Beginning Of The End

Traveling to my starting point, Gorham, NH, went very smoothly.  The Wife dropped me off at the airport around 4:30 am and my flight left on time at 6:05 am.  Not only was it on time but I was upgraded to first class without me asking.  I was in the first row.

My Chicago flight left twenty minutes late but we arrived in Boston only five minutes late so that worked out great.  While I wasn't upgraded on this flight I wasn't very far from the front so I got off the plane fairly quickly. 

Since I mailed my food and all the pointy bits that I couldn't bring onboard the plane before I left, I only had a carry-on which made it easy getting off the plane and to the 'Scheduled' bus stop with plenty of time to spare.

The next two hours felt like they lasted forever as I waited for my bus to arrive and I sat there inhaling diesel fumes.  Everytime a bus from Concord bus line came by I jumped just to be disappointed when it was not the right one or it was just dropping people off. The bus I was waiting for arrived on schedule and I thought about reading on the way but I was too tired so I just vegged out for most of the five hour ride.

As the bus got closer to Gorham and the scenery became more familiar my palms started sweating and I thought "What the hell am I doing?" I think I was having flashbacks to how I felt when I last hiked through the White Mountains.  I think I will do better than last time.  I am nearly ten pounds lighter and my hiking diet is better balanced. The only things still giving me pause are logistical issues which shouldn't be too difficult to iron out. 

The bus dumped me off in front of the Circle K convenience store and I walked the two to three blocks to my cheap motor inn I'd booked.  It turned out to be nicer than I expected. 

The office was closed when I got there but I'd given them heads up that I would be arriving later than the 8:00 pm check in time and they left my room info in the mail box on the office door.

It was a long sixteen hour travel day and I didn't sleep much on the plane so I got a quick meal at McDonalds and went to bed shortly after.  Hopefully a good night's sleep will calm my nerves. 

The sporting goods store where I will buy my stove fuel opens this morning at 8:00 am and the post office opens at 8:30 am and there is a mile and a half of walking to do to get there.

After that it's just time to psych myself up so I'm ready to go when the shuttle picks me up on Sunday morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment